Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wrinkly Burns

Hassie Clare has been having massive foot cramps for about 6 months. They come on quick and fierce. Her calf muscle turns into a giant know and her foot twists in ways that I didn't think are possible. When she first starting having them she would scream so loud you would have thought we were pulling her toenails out with tweezers and dipping her toes in rubbing alcohol. When they first started my mom asked her if it felt like wiggly worms under her skin in her foot. She said "Yes. It feels like wrinkly burns." So we call them wrinkly burns.
Some other weird things that have gone on with her is constant thirst, gets tired very easily - especially in the heat (she can handle about 30 mins and then she just lays down), little appetite, craves fruit (watermelon, oranges, grapes - anything that is juicy) and sleeps VERY hard. A few months ago, her pediatrician was convinced she had a magnesium deficiency. He told me to keep her hydrated (give her as much to drink as she wants), don't let her get over heated, etc. She shows all the signs of being slightly dehydrated so ..... keep her hydrated.
Let me back up a bit ... have you ever let a 3 or 4 your old drink as much as they want at night? Needless to say, she has to wear a pull up at night and sometimes even that can't stop all the peepee. But her wetting the bed isn't a concern for us. As our doctor said, "you won't be sending her off to college with a suit case of pull-ups."  Her cramps first started when I started limiting her fluid intake to keep her from having to go potty so much at night.
As soon as we let her start drinking as much H20 as she wanted we noticed a big difference. Her wrinkly burns only happened once or twice a week and I could usually predict when she would have them (if I didn't keep her hydrated well that day or if we were out and about).
Fast forward 5 months and it has become a HUGE problem again recently. Keeping her hydrated no longer works. The past few days she has been getting them all day and night. She is miserable and so am I.
So ... we go see her doctor in the morning and I'm a little nervous. For the first time ever, she is scared about going to the doctor. For some reason, she thinks they are going to cut her wrinkly burns out of her. I probably should stop letting her watch Gray's Anatomy re-runs with me:) I assured her that they aren't going to cut her open. Now if someone could assure me that she is okay then we will all be happy:)

No comments: