Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quarter of the way to driving - 4th birthday

"So when you drive and the years go passing by.
I hope you smile, if I ever cross your mind.
It was a pleasure of my life.
And I cherished every time.
And my whole world,
it begins and ends with you."

These lyrics from the Zac Brown Band kept me in tears on the girls birthday. I was driving home from work  and I was bawling like a baby. Of course I listened to it over and over again. And of course I cried harder and harder each time. I can't believe how fast the past 4 years have gone by and it makes me crazy sad to think about how fast the next 14 years will go by.

It is amazing how much your kids pick up on your emotional state. The night before their official birthday we were all sitting in their room getting ready for bed and we were discussing all the neat things that happened when they were 3 years old and all the cool things that will happen when they are 4. Hassie Clare said "Mommy, I'm sorry." Jamie and I looked at each other and I said "why are you sorry sweet girl." She said "I'm sorry for turning 4. I know that makes you sad." GOOD LORD ... what is wrong with me. So .... I changed my attitude to 100% positive ... but I was still weeping just a little bit on the inside.

And then something happened at their birthday party. I was watching them run around The Little Gym with all their friends, laughing, playing, acting like monkey's and then suddenly I became emotional again only it was with excitement about all the things we have to look forward to as they get older. Turning 4 years old has opened up a whole new window of opportunities for us as a family. Each year it will get easier and easier to travel with them and do adventurous things. Our options are endless. So ... I grieved the fact that their baby and toddler years are over and now I'm excited about moving on to the future. Plus both of the girls agreed that they would forever and always be my baby!

Enough of my emotional mumbo jumbo ....

On Friday, June 11, 2010 we woke the girls up just like we do every year with the video recorder in our hand and singing happy birthday. The girls woke up smiling and very excited. Sarah made them blueberry pancakes for breakfast - their favorite. Afterwards, the girls opened up the very special and thoughtful birthday presents from Sarah (she probably spent a week of pay on them).  Maema and Kevin (Maema's long time boyfriend) got into town around the same time I got off work. Of course her car was loaded down with presents (more on the presents for me and Jamie in another post).
The girls eagerly opened up all their presents from Maema and Kevin. She has a way of always knowing what they will like!

Coincidence .... I don't think so (look at TV in background)! Instead of Hassie she should have put DOROFEE as the name on the poncho towel!





The girls got to pick out where we ate dinner so of course we went to Mexican. The restaurant we went to was the first place we ever took the girls (Rancho Grande). The place is a few miles from our house and we eat there a little more then I'd like to admit. Aunt Karrie and Uncle Brent met us up there and we had a nice dinner.




The girls were not sure what to think about the whip cream in the face. Jamie and I held our breathe and waited for Quinn to explode. Much to our surprise ... she rolled with it and even smiled. It was a nervous smile but a smile none the less. I guess turning 4 will bring us all kinds of surprises!

We went home and crashed. We had to get lots of sleep for the nest day ... the party day. More details in another post I promise.

No comments: