Sunday, June 13, 2010

1st Dance Recital / Spring Show Case 2010

So this is the first year we have participated in any form of dance class. The girls have been taking ballet and tap for the past 6 months and last weekend they had their first big Show Case. I learned a few things preparing for this program:
1) I am not a stage mom nor do I enjoy the preparations involved. I could NEVER do pageants.
2) The little girls (2 and 3 year olds) only get seconds on the stage during an hour and half show.
3) Ice Cream bribery can get you good results on just about anything with Hassie Clare and Quinn.
4) Little girls of all ages are ridiculously cute in sparkling costumes, tutu's and all the glitz. It reminded me of why I love having little girls.
5) 16 dance classes (45 mins to an hour each), 1 rehearsal, 3 classes for the sister dance (45 mins each), shoes (tap and ballet), dance tights, uniforms, costumes, costume pics, show case tickets - for twin 3 year old girls = $968.00.

All in all, I'm so glad we did this. It was a learning experience, the girls enjoyed themselves and gained some confidence. I enjoyed watching them every week. I have decided that I will not sign the girls up unless they show an interest in wanting to continue dance class. We won't do it just to "do it."

Even though I'm a sports girl, I appreciate the art of dance. I realize all of the hard work and talent that is involved in various forms of dance. I took tap, gymnastics and baton when I was younger. I remember the last Christmas parade I was in ... twirling a baton down Stateline Road. It was freezing outside and I was miserable. All I could think about was getting out of the shiny, red, candy cane costume my mom made me wear and heading out to the softball field. I was soooo over the whole girly dance thing and thank God my mom agreed with me:)

Anyway, the girls looked ADORABLE in their little costume, with a little makeup on and their hair all fixed. I only planned on lip gloss and blush but they wanted more so I used mascara and eye shadow (NOT TO SELF - NEVER PUT MASCARA ON A 3 YEAR OLD). They felt like a princess and that is all that mattered.

I'm trying to figure out how to load a video onto the blog because the Sister Dance part of the show was priceless. Hassie Clare and Quinn were the youngest sisters out there and OMG .. they were adorable. Girls if you are reading this 20ish years from now and want to know what I'm talking about ... find the small DVD in the small clear case labeled 1st dance recital / show case 2010.  It takes my breathe away every time I watch it.

Since the showcase, the girls dance around everywhere singing songs and doing dance moves ... especially the Sister song. If they want to take dance again in the fall then I will definitely sign them back up. Maybe I secretly am a stage mom an I don't realize it yet??????




Outside the DeSoto County Civic Center

Mommy with daughters before the show.

The dance with all the other girls in the 3 year old class.

The Sister Dance

The Sister Dance

Hip bumpin

HC negotiating something with the little girl next to her during the final performance ... no it was not part of the routine.

3 generations. Nana and Paw Paw surprised the girls with flowers and little gifts after the show.

As promised, we chewed bubble gum, ate Mexican and went to Baskin Robbins for ice cream after the show to reward the girls for a job well done and to satisfy all those bribes.

No comments: