Sunday, December 27, 2009

The perfect day.

December 27, 2009 - the Sunday after Christmas. We didn't leave the house or get out of our pj's. Nothing spectacular happened. In fact, to most, it would have been a boring day. But for me ... it was the perfect day. I laughed liked I haven't laughed in months - I snuggled and flirted with my husband more then I have in a year - I loved-on, wrestled and played with my kids all day long, without any interruption.

My mom said it perfectly when I told her about my day. She said, "You enjoyed your family. You didn't have to be the disciplinarian, the boss, the housekeeper, cook, the work from home mom, the taxi driver, etc." Remember I'm the chronic over-booker. I took the day off and it was a day I will hold onto as long as I can.

At first I thought we were having so much fun because the girls were in such a good mood. They were not fighting or whining. But then I realized it wasn't them, it was me. Or Jamie and me I should say. We were 100% relaxed. We were not challenging them or asking anything of them. We even played hookie from Church. They had ALL of our attention. We were not distracted with work, chores, projects, yard work, NOTHING!

We piled onto each other on the couch and watched the movie Up (or as Hassie Clare calls it "Falling From The Sky"). We listened to music and danced .... a lot. We curled up in the bed and read books. We ate good food, well .. not good as in healthy but good as in yummy. We talked and talked and talked. Hassie Clare and Quinn's memory amazes me. Most of the day Hassie Clare asked that we only refer to her as Dorofee (ya know, from the Wizard of Oz) and Quinnie insisted I call her Belle (the Princess). Even Ruby was in a good mood and full of energy (even though I think it was the senior vitamins we started giving her).

Yesterday was just a small reminder of why I love my life so much. Why am I the lucky one that has 2 great kids and a wonderful marriage? I like to think that I don't take it for granted but I think I get so caught up in the hussle and bussle of life that I do take it for granted ... just a little bit. But not yesterday. I enjoyed and cherished every second of our day together.

I asked Jamie if he thought anyone else in this world was as happy as we are at this very moment. He replied, "God I hope so."

No comments: