The human mind can be a tricky thing. I was blessed (combo of genetics and God in my opinion) with natural athletic ability. I have always been good at any sport I have attempted, without much effort. I was rewarded greatly throughout my teenage years and 20's for my success in sports, mainly team sports. I received lots of media attention, too many awards to count, a full volleyball scholarship to undergrad, a full softball scholarship to graduate school as a graduate assistant. Although I worked hard, trained year around and listened to countless coaches scream at me, most of it came naturally. I thought my reward in all this was a PIF (paid in full) education. As I get older, I realize the reward the participating in sports is so much greater.
My life as an athlete ended shortly after graduate school for no apparent reason. Sure I still played softball in an "old lady, beer drinking league." In my mid twenties I played a few seasons in a local men's volleyball league (I had to quit because they played too much street ball - the opposite of skilled volleyball. And they whined way too much). I still kick butt at the occasionally game of HORSE or PIG. The competitive spirit in me has not died but my enthusiasm for keeping my body in shape and competing at a higher level has vanished.
So all of this mumbo jumbo has lead me to this ..... I might dye or seriously injury myself this weekend. I agreed to play in an outdoor 4 woman volleyball tournament. I am 10 years + older then the other ladies on my team. We practiced once last week and have one more scheduled practice before the tournament. This is what the problem is .... my mind is thinking one thing and body is doing something totally different. The skill itself came back to me like riding a bike. In my mind I could still jump up over the net and smash the ball straight down. The reality of it is that I can barely jump up, hit the ball as hard as I can and then I have to pray it clears the net. Do you know what a "credit card jump" is? It is when you can barely slide a credit card under your feet when you jump. I have a credit card jump and I feel like I'm moving in quick sand.
I held my own against the young lads, even shocked myself a few times. But I can promise you one thing, they were not hurting near as bad as I was the following two days after that first practice. Despite the pain, I had a blast and I can't wait to do it again.
I realized for the first time in 10 years that I am still an athlete. The athletic girl is still in me and I will never lose her. It just so happens that the athletic girl is wearing a middle aged, heavy suit:)
The tournament is this Saturday. Pray for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment