I picked the girls up today from their 3 year old Mother's Day Out class. Their teacher uses a red, yellow and green apple that is displayed on the wall to discipline the children. They each have a worm cut out on a clothes pin with heir name on it. If they are good, their worm stays on the red apple. If they get in trouble, their worm gets moved to the yellow apple. If their behavior gets worse or they don't follow the rules again then they get moved to the green apple. It is a HUGE deal to a 3 year old. If their worm is not on the red apple at the end of the day then they don't get to pick from the teacher's treat jar (full of candy of course).
So, today Hassie Clare would/could not stop talking during nap time. After 10 warnings and repeatedly not listening to her teacher, her worm got moved to the yellow apple. No treat!
Here is the conversation between Hassie Clare and Quinn in the car on the way home:
Hassie Clare said "Quinnie Ray, can you share your Skittles with me?"
Quinn replied, "No Hassie Clare. You have a cold and I don't want your bugs."
Hassie Clare said "I not sick anymore and you are pose to share with your friends and sister."
I was curious as to how they would work this out so I just stayed quiet.
After a few negotiations, Quinn said "Here Hassie Clare, I'll give you just one red skittle cause I think you will like to taste it."
Hassie Clare replied, "How about 3 red Skittles? Member .... nice little girls share."
Quinn responded with "Has, next time you don't listen to the teacher I'll give you 3 Skittles."
Hassie Clare excitedly said, "Okay. That sounds like a good idea. Give me one more now and next time you give me 3 when I get in trouble. Hey Mommy, when do we go to school again?"
Without thinking, Quinn handed her another skittle.
Tell me this ... there are 10 kids in the class. Seven of them are boys .... SEVEN BOYS! Yet the tiny little girl with the head full of long curly hair is usually the only one that gets in trouble. How is this possible? I'm really shocked she didn't attempt to negotiate her way back up to the red apple. I often refer to her as our family's chief negotiator. When she negotiates things with me (which is 5+ times a day), I usually let her think she wins. Or maybe she really does win and tricking me was all part of her plan?????? Hopefully, someday these skills of hers will come in handy!
No comments:
Post a Comment