Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Preparations for "big girl" school - Junior Kindergarten

Way, way behind on blogging. We have had a fun filled summer and I will catch up on creating those memories later. First and foremost, my little girls have their very first day of school tomorrow. And I feel like someone has punched me in the gut. BARF
I'm putting on a super smiley face and nothing but positive slogan are pouring out of my mouth. But I'm weeping on the inside.
I think the part that bothers me the worst is that I feel sorry for them. They will be in school for the next 18 plus years. Hopefully. Their lazy fall, winter, spring days are a thing of the past. No more Nannies to spoil them and cater to their every need. No more impromptu fun days in the middle of the week. Our lives from here on out will revolve around their school.
When I asked HC if anything about school made her nervous she replied with "I'm not looking forward to all the work. And I don't want to be away from my sister." Quinn's reply to the same questions was "I don't want to be away from you all day." sniff sniff
I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the new rules, hours, dress code, etc. It will be a huge change for all of us.
But I've been working on getting everything in order for the past month of so.

First we started with shopping for uniforms. I took Maema, Nana and the girls to the uniform shop that was set up in 2 small hotel rooms near our house. It was hot and there was zero space. But we got it knocked out in an hour and I about burst with pride when I saw them in their little uniforms. They wear the smallest size they have available and some of it is still too big for them.

Thank you Maema for the camera phone pics! Hassie Clare never stood still long enough for a picture.
Afterwards, we went shoe shopping and found their little Saddle Oxfords. Thankfully they liked them because according to the girls, they could run super fast away from the buys in them (I have a feeling Daddy must be talking to them also). A few days later I knocked out all of the school supplies one night during a Target trip.

And finally, the moment I have dreaded for the past year arrived. Their 5 year old check-up. I told them a few weeks before the appointment what was going to happen. I explained to them that they were going to get a few shots. They handled the news fairly well, minus a few tears. I told them all of this in advance BECAUSE ... my mom took me to the doctor once and promised me that I was not going to get a shot or even see a doctor. She was back in the back with my sister and they came out and called my name. I assured them they had the wrong Kristi Hagel.  But they insisted on taking me back to "talk." Before I knew it, 3 lab coats were holding me down and they were giving me a shot in my leg. As you can imagine, I was highly pissed off. In fact, I'm still holding a grudge against my mother:) Of course, she has a different version of the story but I'm positive my memory is more accurate. I wonder what stories my girls will twist all around when they get older.
Anyway, the appointment day finally arrived. I didn't tell them that "the day" was here until we were eating lunch at Chick-fila before the appointment. That was a mistake! They were hysterical. Rookie mom mistake obviously. Wasted $10 in food because they barely ate anything after I broke the news.  By the grace of God, my mom was able to go with me even though she has a killer UTI. The girls were the most devastated because I did not tell them about the finger prick. I had no idea ... honestly! Overall, they did great. They spent about an hour before the shots crying and only 30 seconds after the shots crying. Then we went to Gracie Blue's for some frozen yogurt and Target for a new toy:)
Here they are in their little hospital gowns:

"Maybe if we give Mommy a really good, fake smile she won't make was get a shot."
I was super stoked to find out the L.L. Bean has Junior backpacks. I let them pick out the color (both picked pink) and had their name put on it. I still have mine form high school! Of course I had to get the matching lunch boxes. Then I ordered bows that match their uniform from our bow lady.

Let's see ... what us. Oh yeah ... I paid tuition. Ouch.

Yesterday we had "sneak a peek" at their school for an hour. They got the meet their teachers and both of them are as sweet as can be. One of them has taught at this school for 43 years. Can you imagine????? And teaching Pre-K on top of that! I don't think I would last a week without ending up in jail or the psych ward.
Last night we went to the "New Family Orientation." We all had a good time and we left there feeling confident and excited about new beginnings. It was exactly what we all needed.

So now it is the day before school starts and we are ready. I have spent countless hours talking to the girls about school, danger situations, trusting your teacher, asking for help, honesty, friendship, loyalty, hard word, fun, etc. I still feel like someone kicked me in the stomach but I feel confident that we picked the right school for us and our girls are ready to start this journey!

No comments: