Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rapunzel party + waterslide = 2 happy 5 year olds


My 5 year old old little girls with their super hero. Hassie Clare is holding Rapunzel's frying pan and Quinn is holding her hair brush.
 I am not a crafty person. In fact, I'm comfortable saying I'm the opposite of creative. But when the girls finally decided they both wanted a Tangled theme party, I knew I had to get my "crafty" on. It's not glamorous. Fairly simple. But we pulled it off.


I just realized I didn't get a picture of our outdoor decorations. I bought 2 large thingys of yellow yarn. We braided a 25ish foot braid with an extra large lavender bow at the end and hung it out of the upstairs window. It hung down in the front of the house and laid on the steps in the front yard (get it ... her long hair is coming out of the tower window:). I thought it was super cute and it made my girls giggle.

Look at the post on the right hand side of this pic ... you can kind of see the long braid and get the idea.
For 3-4 weeks prior to the party, Hassie Clare and Quinn started painting and cutting. They thought they should paint their own decorations since Rapunzel was a painter. They used large and small paper plates (for the sun pieces) and leftover, faulty, orange file folders that the Hammer's generously donated when they were shipped in error to their office. They make great art paper! After daily painting sessions (thanks to their nanny Meredith) we had enough art pieces to string up our decorations. I punched holes in the top of them and used lavender sting to decorate the kitchen and mantle in the living room. We decorated the window slabs on the doors with the sun pieces (if you haven't seen the movie you would not get it).

This is what the tops of my counter would look like at the end of every day. All of their masterpieces had to dry!
Of course my ever so talented friend from high school, Jennifer, created the cake. I told her a few specifics (tower, 2 separate small cakes for each kid)  and she went with it. She totally outdid herself on this one!

It was glittery, had flowers and tasted delicious (lemon and strawberry - the girls picked the flavors). Of course she used homemade buttercream frosting. It smelled up the whole kitchen. The picture does not do it justice!

You can see some of the girls decorations well in this pic. In case you are wondering, the large oblong things are wishing lanterns and the lizard looking things next to their name is Pascal (Rapunzel's best and only  friend that happens to be a Chameleon).
Party favors. Me, my mom and the girls headed to a craft store to find the perfect party favor to go with our theme. The girls wanted to give their guest either something sweet they could eat or something they could paint. We found these wooden masks for $1 and paints with a brush for $1.00. I printed off some labels (I noticed when uploading a pic that I goofed up .... the label is suppose to say "RAPUNZEL PAINTS Thanks for coming to our party. Lots of love (not love of love), Hassie Clare & Quinn. My few crafty brain cells were in full force which apparently hinders other areas of my brain. I braided yellow yarn, put the labels on the paints, tied it all together and BAM ... we have party favors.  We had a total of 24 kids but I only expected about 15. I made 20 just in case so some of the older kids got left out.


Rapunzel herself made a special appearance all the way from Jonesboro, AR Disneyworld. She was precious. She sang a song, read a book, played a game and visited with the girls. The boys at the party took cover in the play room when she arrived. All of the girls were gaga over her.
They are all dressed for the waterslide (swimsuits & cover-ups) but wishing they had worn their dress-up dresses!


A big girly group hug with Rapunzel.

The girls picked out all the party food. They said Rapunzel was a healthy girl and that she eats lots of fruit and veggies. So here was the menu they came up with:
broccoli, carrots & cauliflower with our fav Lite Ranch
blueberries, raspberries, grapes & pineapple (the raspberries disappeared before the party started... hhuummm)
Later they added:
Cheese dip from the Mexican place and chips
Pizza Rolls
I can only assume they were craving junk food when they added the last two. I added some guacamole to the list and picked up almost everything at Sam's a few days before. I was clearly mistaken when I thought 350 pizza rolls would be enough. But I didn't realize 45ish people would show up!
I picked up a couple "Pascal" metal table decorations at the dollar store.
After Rapunzel left we headed outside to the water slide. It was a sauna outside and the perfect way to end the party. We got to keep this thing all weekend. The next day we bellied up to it redneck style and had a big time!

I ordered a bunch of Wishing Lanterns (AKA Chinese Rice Lanterns). The movie is based around these wishing lanterns that the castle sets off every year on Rapunzel's birthday. They were much bigger then what I expected so I wasn't able to decorate with them like I planned. And ... we were not able to let them go after we would light them cause of all the trees and it was a fire hazard ....blah, blah, blah. So, I tied string to them and we fired a few up after most of their school friends left. I thought it was a sweet gesture even though it didn't turn out as planned.

You can see some of the wishing lanterns hanging from the back of the house. We saved a few to set off at the lake so the girls could make more wishes.

I did a terrible job of taking pictures. I hope some of my family got more pictures .... I literally have 20 pics and a little bit of video of the entire day ... and most of them are from before and after the party. But the look and excitement in my little girls eyes will be forever embedded in my memory. Hassie Clare brings me something of hers everyday and says "Here Mommy. This is for you for letting us have a great birthday party." This morning she brought me a sheet of stickers with only one sticker left and said "This is for you for letting us have cheese dip at our party." The truth of the matter is that we could have invited a few of their friends over to play on their swing set or their blowup pool, ate a Kroger cake and watched Tangled on the TV and they would have been just as happy and excited. I guess that is how 5 year olds roll!

Since their party, my little "Rapunzel's" have not gone anywhere without their frying pans, always want me to braid their hair and they never want to wear shoes .... just like their super hero.


2 comments:

Paula Jennings said...

Where did you get Rapunzel from? We might need her come Nov!!

MR said...

What an awesome idea for a party!!! You are mom of the year and I just love the frying pan - hilarious!