Friday, September 10, 2010

Labor Day Weekend 2010

I greatly appreciate weekends with no plans. Especially 3 day weekends. The anticipation is my favorite part. 3 whole days with no work, no phone ringing, no work responsibility. This Labor Day weekend was the perfect "no plans" weekend - according to my standards.

Friday night I cleaned the house, did laundry, etc. while the girls played in their playroom and watched a movie. Sounds weird but my comfort level is at an all time high when my house is clean, laundry done and everything in order - known in our house as "party ready" (what your house looks like right before a party or gathering.) Love, love, love that feeling. Jamie got a "much deserved" night off from family duty to work in his garage. I sat out back after I put the girls to bed, sipping on some bubbly and admired my clean house through the windows. I hate that I enjoy that feeling so much (the clean, organized house ... not the bubbly).

Sat. morning I got up early and went to the gym. I have found so much comfort and joy in a good, hard workout.  It was the killer kind of work out that left me wondering if I could walk out to my car. Let alone go to the feed store and grocery shopping. Somehow I managed to get it all done and made it home by 11:30. The girls were just finishing up a big pancake breakfast with Daddy. We headed straight outside to enjoy to gorgeous day by piddling out in the yard, in the flower beds, cleaning porches and decks, draining the hot tub (oooooo I can't wait for hot tub weather). We got a lot of little things done that have been neglected lately .... well really for 4 years:) The great part about it was the girls were with us and able to play in the yard without us watching over their every move. Times are a changing!

The girls love riding with Jamie in Cliffy (AKA Clifford .... the big red farm truck). He drives them around the yard and neighborhood. Quinnie waves to everyone in the neighborhood like she is in a parade. Ruby got majorly jealous .... that is her truck and she usually rides with Daddy!
My deal with the girls is that they can dress themselves when we are at home or playing in the yard but I get to dress them when we leave the house. So far that arrangement is working well.

Draining the hot tub ... evidently it is very entertaining to a 4 year old to watch water drain. I try and take pics as often as possible with the phone to send to Maema. I can't imagine how much she misses them and hopefully seeing random pics of our daily activities helps her miss them a little less:)  
Sat. night Jamie's friend from IL was in town and staying down at the Peabody. It was one of those nights that we both just wanted to stay at home, throw some beef on the grill and chill out. But we only get to see his friend from college and his wife every few years so we headed downtown to meet them at the Rendezvous (again ...second time in 7 days. Truth be told, I could eat there every night). I was going to stay home with the girls but my mom graciously encouraged me to bring the girls over to her house for the evening. Reluctantly, I gave in and joined Jamie.  It was one of those nights that you could not possibly have planned. We had an awesome meal and headed to Alfred's on Beale St. Got a great table up on the patio and then near the dance floor once the band started. I think I danced for 4 hours straight. Does not happen often but when I get the dance bug ... look out. Jamie joined me off and on and we had such a good time. We laughed and danced and laughed and danced and laughed and danced. I think I fell in love with him just a little bit more.

Again ... parents of the year here rolled in around 2:30am. No late night is complete without stopping at Krystals for a sack full of Krystal burgers! Decided it was best to wait until the morning to get the girls even though we told them we would come pick them up before they went to sleep:( 
Sunday morning I rolled out of bed in pretty rough shape. I cooked brunch for a girlfriend (Rebecca Copeland) that was in town from St. Louis. As much as I battled through the preparation that morning, it was all worth it. We had an enjoyable time catching up, eating and letting the kids play. We walked around the yard and let the kids explore, jumped on the moon bounce, rode little Jeeps and played on the play ground.  She has a sweet, little 15 month old named Conner. I wanted to keep him but she would not let me:(

After our guests left I prepared some more grub and we headed over to the Hagel's for dinner and to say our goodbyes to Jasmine. It was a sad night but she was surrounded by love. I cried and cried but only when no one was looking (except Jamie ... he always sniffs me out). My mom made some fantastic ribs and we ate way too much as always.

Monday was rest day. Jamie got the entire day off from family duty to work in his garage. The girls and I read books, played pretend for about 10 hours (seemed like it anyway), slept, had a fashion show, watched movies and slept some more. I never take the time or make the time to spend that much quality time with them. It usually comes in short spurts of time, like after dinner or first thing in the morning. It was wonderful and I felt so "caught up" and "in tune" with them .... if that makes any sense.

I heart Labor Day Weekend 2010.

No comments: