Tuesday, September 21, 2010

1st Day of Pre-school

After little preparation, buying tons of school supplies (I had no idea how much money parents spend on school supplies) and lots of discussion with the girls about their new teacher and new classroom ... their first day of pre-school went smoothly. They only go 2 days a week for 6 hours to the same mother's day out program they have been going to for the past 2 years but this year they go up stairs to pre-school. We felt this program will help us decide if the girls will start full time 4 year old kindergarten next year or go straight to kindergarten. Their teacher, Ms. Martha, is lovely. She is a certified kindergarten teacher and a mother of a 4 year old little girl .... perfect credentials to help us make the decision about next year.


The story of the lunch boxes -
The girls and I spent **way too long** one evening shopping for lunch boxes online. HC was adamant about wanting a Wizard of Oz lunch box. We found several cute ones but at the last minute she fell in love with a Little Mermaid one with a tail hanging off the box. Quinn decided on an adorable "old fashion" W of O lunch box. Fast forward to the first morning of school - I had their lunches made, in their new lunch boxes and sitting on the counter when they woke up. Hassie Clare immediately started negotiations with Quinn about switching lunch boxes for the day.... of course Quinn said no. Long story short, HC worked on Quinn for over an hour and somehow got her to switch. I'm telling you, the girl has some serious negotiating skills! 



Daddy took the morning off work to take the girls to their first day of pre-school.

"I'm a little nervous about all this pre-school stuff."




Hassie Clare's crayon box was at one table and Quinn's was at another. Hassie Clare noticed this as soon as we got into the classroom and went over to get her box and put it next to her sister. It was so sweet! Ms. Martha said that it would be fine for a few weeks and then she might slowly start separating them.
 Nana and Amy joined us that morning. Nana is in complete and utter denial that the girls are old enough to go to pre-school. I think she had a harder time with it then I did! The girls did great. They required about 27 hugs and kisses from me, daddy, Nana and Amy but there were no tears. I was a little bit emotional on the inside ... mainly just that uneasy feeling in my tummy that I get every time I leave them. For me it wasn't much different then it has been the past 2 years. But holy cow, next year when they start school full time it will be a whole new ball game and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.

PS - Is pre-school a hyphenated word or is it preschool?

No comments: