When I look at this picture, I can remember the euphoric feeling I had when I held both of my babies at the same time, for the first time. Up until this point, the NICU staff was only comfortable with disconnecting one of the babies at a time in case of an emergency. I walked into the NICU when they first opened that Tuesday morning and my favorite NICU nurse said "They are both doing great. No apnea episodes in 24 hours. Do you want to hold both of your babies at the same time today?" They disconnected all of their wires and layed them both on my chest. The feelings that I had were overwhelming. I think for the first time I let myself relax and I knew that both of them were going to be okay. Afterwards the nurses helped me latch each of the babies to my breast - up until this point I had only pumped. I knew at that moment they would be coming home with us soon and that we would be a family once and for all.
I was by myself but luckily one of them took a picture with the NICU camera to capture this moment for me.
Quinn is on the left and Hassie Clare is on the right. They weighed a total of 9.2 pounds in this picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment