Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Playing hookie on MLK Day!

Even though I work from home, I rarely get time off during the week to spend time with the girls (trust me, I'm not complaining. I get to see them all day, just in short periods of time and I get to snuggle with them every morning when they wake up). So .... on MLK day I decided to call it quits a few hours early and me and the girls headed to the zoo. I love our little outings. On the drive there I got to thinking about how hard it was to take them out when they were babies.

Our first mommy/daughter outing was to Macy's when they were about 10 weeks old. They were still on apnea monitors and I had them in their car seat on the double stadium-seating stroller. HC weighed about 5.5 pounds and Quinnie weighed 7 pounds. They were still wearing preemie size clothes and I dressed them in these cute little dresses their Aunt Jodie got them. I kept the entire stroller covered with blankets so no one would sneeze on them, cough on them or touch them. I was a rookie mom! I had no idea that women (especially older women) have no problem pulling blankets back and reaching in to touch your baby. After shopping for over an hour I found a family room near the kid section (never knew they had those before becoming a mom). I changed them, nursed them, hooked all their wires back up and bundled them back up in their stroller. It took me almost an hour. After unloading them from the car once we go back to the house, I remember being exhausted and wondering when the day would come when it would be easy to take them on outings.
Anyway, we had a fun, uneventful afternoon at the zoo. We are so lucky to live close to such an awesome zoo. We spend about $100 a year for a membership and we go 20+ times a year. The girls never get tired of going. Tay Tay (our nanny) takes them any chance she gets when the weather is nice.
I had a million things I could have done yesterday in those few hours I had off work. To be honest, I forgot all about the laundry, my closet that looks like a mall threw up in it, the fridge that needs cleaning, the dog that needs a bath, etc. We laughed and laughed and laughed. My only regret is not taking the stroller. Their little legs got tired quickly.
I sent pics to Jamie throughout our outing to let him know we were thinking of him and wishing he was with us. My phone takes HORRIBLE pics but you get the picture - no pun intended.





I went to the zoo with twin 3 year old little girls but came home with a tiger and a panda. I wonder if they will listen better?

No comments: