Against all odds with Jamie on call this weekend, we decided to pack up and head to Cape for a weekend of swimming, eating and poker with family. We took 2 cars and Jamie got 2 call outs on the day we left. Luckily, that was the only call outs he got until we got home Sunday night and crawled into bed (poor guy had to pull an all-nighter and then work all day today).
Maema and Kevin meet us in Cape, along with other aunts, uncles and cousins from that side of the family. We all stayed at Aunt Caryn's, Cousin Debbie and John's house. They are incredible hosts and we always have a fantastic time at their house. They go up and beyond the call of duty to get everyone to come to Cape. They can throw together a spread of food like you wouldn't believe. They have a beautiful pool in their backyard. Perfect place to have large family gathering. I can only imagine the work they put into these gatherings to make everything run so smoothly. We appreciate it immensely ... I appreciate it immensely.
So that I can remember everyone that was at this weekend gathering (Jamie's family), here is a rundown: Maema (mom), Kevin L. (moms fiance), Kevin J. (Uncle), Pam (Aunt by marriage), Vicky (Aunt), Celeste (Great Aunt), Caryn (Aunt), Debbie (1st cousin), John (Debbie's husband - cousin by marriage), Jeff (1st cousin), Kristen (Jeff's girlfriend), Kathy (1st cousin), Ravi (Kathy's husband - cousin by marriage), Kaylee (2nd cousin), Hilton (2nd cousin), Sara (1st cousin). There were a handful of other folks there that like to play poker and eat Aunt Caryn's food. Great group of folks.
Growing up we lived across country from our aunts, uncles and cousins. I want my girls to know their extended family. I want them to see where their dad comes from. I want them to play with their cousins and make memories with them. They have 3 2nd cousins that are all within a year of their age (Kaylee, Riley and Gavin). And two baby cousins that are 3 years younger (Madison and Hilton).
I spent the weekend eating, drinking, laughing ... did I mention eating? Good lord. There was so much good food. It would have been impossible to not gain the 5 pounds in 3 days that I gained on this trip. Jamie played some golf, we lounged by the pool even though it rained most of the weekend, played a couple of mean games of water volleyball and I gambled away our life savings. Not really:)
Mae watched the girls for us 99% of the time (huge bonus ... I think we will take her with us everywhere we go)!! The girls have really gotten attached to her lately. We have seen her 3 times in the past month. It is weird how they just know when someone loves them unconditionally. I never knew my grandma's so I think it is really cool. Quinn has started calling for her when she is in trouble. Hassie Clare knows that Mae buys them everything and uses it to her advantage. She bought them all kinds of snacks for the weekend and sent them home with me. Last night Hassie Clare asked if she could have a fruit snack. When I told her no she said "my Maema said I could cause she got those for me." Cute ... kind of:)
During our weekend long family-friendly poker game I lost about $70, which isn't bad. Could have been much worse. In fact, Sunday morning before we left we managed to squeeze in a couple of hours of some poker play and I was able to win back about $55. Even though we weren't at church on Sunday morning I was still praying hard:)
We got to meet our new cousin Hilton. We got to spend some quality time with everyone. We would have enjoyed the fireworks show that they put on but evidently the girls thought they were witnessing the Battle of Armageddon. Needless to say, we stayed inside throughout the entire production. Last year Hassie Clare LOVED them and talked about fireworks for months. Crazy girls!
We somehow convinced a group of the younger cousins to come down for a Redbirds game and visit at our house in September. It will be a weekend to remember just like all the weekends are when we get together.
What I have learned by being a part of an extra large family for the past 10 years is that when I'm around them, I feel safe. Not because they are all large people (and yes they are large:) but because of that "mafia" family thing they have going on. They look out for each other and now they look out for me and my family. That is the only way I can describe it. I know that I can call any of them at any time and they would be there for us. That is a pretty great feeling. I love them differently then I do my small family (on my side), but I love them all nonetheless and I am grateful to be a part of their family.
No comments:
Post a Comment