Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mommy Dearest

Over the past 5 years my parenting confidence has seriously declined. My parental knowledge and confidence was vast and superior prior to actually having children. Now I constantly doubt myself as a mother and wonder daily if I’m raising these little munchkins to be serial killers or happy, well rounded members of society. Sometimes I lay in bed at night and relive all of the ways I could have been a better parent that day. Although I think I’m giving it 100%, could I do more? Is parenting really just a crap shot?


And just when I think I've earned the title of being called Mommy Dearest the principle of the girls school sends this letter home:
  • April 12, 2012
  • Dear Mr. and Mrs. Thurman,
  • This week I have been reading a small story of the Saint of the Day over the intercom. All week the theme seems to have focused on doing what is right and just, as well as integrity. I have asked our students to think about our school mission statement. In our statement the students use the word integrity. I asked them if they are people of integrity. Fr. Duy celebrated Mass with us and told the students not only did they need to find Christ in everything they did but that others should see Christ in them.
  • Hassie Clare was sent to the office today because another classmate spilled their milk. On her own, she went and got paper towels to help the student clean up their mess. She also comforted this student. Also, when she got to the office a teacher was walking through the door and Hassie Clare held it open for her. I wanted to share with you this wonderful act.
  • May God bless your family,
  • Principle Martin

My little girl was on cloud 9 for days. She has such a sweet, tender heart and loves helping others. When I asked her what made her get up to help her classmate she said that she watches me help people all the time and do special things for them and that she wants to be like me. Sniff Sniff. It was proud day for both of us!

No comments: