Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis' the season to be .....

Blessed. Thankful. Grateful. Jolly. Overwhelmed. Busy.
I'm trying my hardest not to let the last 2 overshadow the first 4.

I love Christmas time. Let me rephrase that .... I love Christmas time but like so many others, I just don't have time to enjoy it as much as I would like. My work load is tripled between November 1 and December 31. I'm not complaining, it is a fact. Three times a work load means three times the work, no matter how you look at it.

It is December 15 and I am just starting to make out my Christmas list of things to buy. I have done a little online shopping but not much. Thankfully, we are not buying much this year because our gift to the girls is a week long trip to Disney World in January. Santa is going to bring them "essentials" for a Disney trip (luggage, princess stuff, etc.). He is also bringing them booster seats for the car (sneaky I know, but they will be super excited about riding in "big girl" booster seats in Daddy's car. We will keep the car seats in my car until they exceed 40 pounds.) And he might bring them a small TV / DVD player for their playroom so they can watch movies. Not that I don't enjoy watching Disney movies with them but they tend to watch the same movie over and over and over again for about two months (for the record, they have watched Toy Story 3 about 34 times and it's only been out for 1.5 months).

Our social schedule is full and we are still missing out on so many fun things. I'm not sure how that happened! I have kept Christmas weekend wide open .... no parties, dance recitals, open houses, school/church events ... nothing but enjoying time with the family. I plan on cleaning out the girls play room. I'm assuming it will be easier to get rid of stuff once they have new stuff to put in the room. They have a tendency to get emotionally attached to materialistic things like their daddy:) And maybe we will go to see that movie Tangled (or Tangled Up as the girls say) and eat at this burger joint we've been wanting to try (Red Robin or Cheeseburger Cheeseburger).

Despite the craziness, I still cherish all the beautiful moments this time of year brings for my family. I love to see the excitement in my daughters when they experience all the magical things Christmas brings. Every morning they jump out of bed to go see where "Elfis" our Elf is hiding.  They stare at the Christmas tree in their room and in our living room as if it is the prettiest thing they have ever seen.  They sing Christmas songs all day long and butcher all of the words (they get that from their momma). They get so excited when they see a Nutcracker because they know Nana loves Nutcrackers. Hassie Clare carries her Grinch around with her everywhere but refuses to watch the movie "The Grinch that Stole Christmas" because she thinks people are mean to him in the movie. She said it makes her too sad. I can't wait to see them on Christmas morning .... it makes all this hussle and bussle worth it!

The Grandparents from Texas drove up last weekend to celebrate the holidays with us. As always, it was a nice, laid-back weekend. Most of the weekend involved eating, shopping and more eating. The highlight of the weekend was the sweet, girly Sunday afternoon shower we (her family) had for my sister at our house. Karrie and Brent got lots of great things for Paisley! The highlight of the weekend for the girls was the new Christmas books that Glenda bought for them and read to them each night.

Next year I plan on doing things a bit different. My intentions are to simplify our lives during the Christmas holidays but I'm not sure how to go about that. Luckily I have a whole year to figure it out!

Here are a few phone pics from Uncle Dave's store (or as HC & Q say "Umple Dave's Pro Shop"):


Cause I'm a redneck woman ........

It is just me or does Hassie Clare look a little bit like the Grinch in this pic. Check out her eyebrows.

Hassie Clare asked if she could buy this. When I told her that she was too young to have a 4-wheeler she said "Well I'll ask my Maema and she will buy it for me." Quinnie agreed that she was not old enough for it because it didn't have seat belts.

No comments: