Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our Texas folks came to town ...

Not riding on a pony .... but in a car. My dad and stepmother (Glenda) came into town for their bi-yearly visit. Twice a year, for the past 3 years they have journeyed all the way across Texas, through Arkansas and finally into Memphis to see us. It is a long drive but they never complain. They spend 3 nights and then hop in the car to make the trip back home. The weekends are always relaxing but too short. Hassie Clare and Quinn love seeing their grandpa and they are head over heels in love with Glenda. They always bring them a present, something unique. This time is was a set of musical instruments. I'm not saying they planned this or anything but they waited until the night before they left to give the girls their new instruments. I guess they didn't want to hear the sound of mariachis and the triangle's dinging all weekend! Smart folks!

One of several books that Glenda read to my little book worms over the weekend!

Reading again .... before bed.
This is the girls running down a MONSTER hill next to our local BBQ joint. We usually eat out one night when the Texan's are in town - we try to avoid Mexican food:) This time we ate at Natural Born Grillers and it was fab!
I love this pic. This was taken during their first trip to stay with us. The girls were 5.5 months old.
Grandpa holding his granddaughters for the first time (Quinn, Grandpa, Hassie Clare).


The other day I was cooking dinner and the girls were playing under my feet in the kitchen...like always. I told them that Nana (my mom) was coming down to stay with us for a few days and Hassie Clare said "I miss Nana." Quinn chimed in and said "I miss Maema too" (Jamie's mom) and then one of the them said "I miss Glenda too." It is funny how we have never talked about the dynamics of our family to them but somehow they just know that Glenda is a Grandmother to them. So then I tried thinking like a 3 year old. Glenda loves them, she buys them clothes and presents, she spends quality time with them and she is married to their Grandpa. Of course she is a grandma to them. Which leads me to this story... I was reading them a book yesterday and it was about a Grandpa, his grandson and a bunny or duck or some animal. His female neighbor came over and one of the girls said "is that the little boys Glenda?" The girls think that the name Glenda is just another Grandma name like Maema or Nana. Their minds continuously amaze me!!!

No comments: