The lights are off, I'm laying in bed with a gazillion thoughts running through my head. And suddenly I remember years ago my oncologist asking me if I ever have hip pain. And then my mind starts racing more. I've been tired a lot lately, both hips are hurting for no apparent reason .... oh lordy ... my cancer must be back. I try to rationalize with myself, pulling statistics out of the back of my head - the chance of recurrence after 11 years is less than .05%. But still .... my freakin hips are killing me and I'm so dang tired all the time. Gotta be cancer. After a few hours of worrying about everything known to cancer, motherhood, kids, my will, work, etc. I finally drifted off to sleep.
As the years have gone by, the fears of my cancer returning have diminished. At the 5 year cancer free mark, I decided I would not let that ugly disease control my thoughts. And for the most part, I only think about it twice a year when I visit the cancer clinic. I know the culprit of crazy lady coming to visit me. One of my dear friends wrote a book. It was recently published and sits on the selves of many book stores. I got a copy hot off the press but it sat on my night stand for 6 weeks ... until this week. I could not bring myself to read it even though I read the pre-edited version a few years ago. I knew reading the book would mess with my mind and crazy lady would show her ugly face. Anyway, I read it cover to cover the other night. It is a beautiful story about a young woman battling cancer while falling in love. It is her memoir. While our stories are different, there are several similarities and many things we went through together. I'm totally flattered that she thanked me in her acknowledgments and that she mentions me a few times in her book. I love her and
| This is my girlfriend Michi's (short for Michelle) book. This is her on the cover ... isn't she stunning? |
PS - Just for grins and giggles, I called my oncologist and had them add some scans and extra tests to my next appointment. Damn you Michi and your good book!
PSS - You can get a copy on NOOK, hard back or soft cover. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-i-lost-my-uterus-and-found-my-voice-michelle-l-whitlock/1108056659
No comments:
Post a Comment