Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A sister's friendship

It is funny how you go through your childhood and don't realize how truly important some things are or will be as you get older. I always new how lucky I was to have a loving, caring family and to have food, shelter and unconditional love every day. But the little things, like the love of a sister, often go without notice. I had no idea how much I would love her and need her in my later years.

We weren't really friends growing up. I always felt like I had to protect her and mother her .... for no other reason other than I felt like it was my role as her big sister.  We had different interests and different personalities.  I was a rule follower and she was a rule breaker. She was the bratty, annoying little sister and I was the bitchy, know it all big sister.  I loved her but we were never close friends as kids.

Fast forward to our later years and man alive, I can't imagine not having her in my life. I can tell her anything and everything without hesitation. I know that she will love me no matter what ... similar to a parents loyalty and love. That is an amazing feeling to know you still have "that person" in your life especially after you lose your Mother.

I consider our friendship a bonus. We can laugh and act silly together, talk about our other family members like we are the only normal ones and unwind together without any judgement. We have a blast when we are together and I cherish being able to call her at anytime and pick right up where we left off. We share a special bond that only sisters can share and that makes our friendship priceless!

So.... to the only person that still checks this blog after 3 years of inactivity, I love you and I'm thankful every day that you are my sister!


No comments: