Our first nanny was the perfect "first nanny" for us. She helped me take care of our preemie newborn twins from the time they were 8 weeks old until they were 5.5 months old. She was a college senior and the daughter of one of my friends. She was loving, dependable and such a joy to be around. She feel in love with the girls and it showed in the way she cared for them. She jumped right in on washing bottles and clothes. She helped me manage my breast feeding and pumping schedule by washing all the supplies multiple times a day. She worked part time around her class schedule and I began working from home. It was a great fit but she graduated from college and had to move on into the "real world." We hated to lose her but I knew she would always be in touch and a part of the girls life in one way or another.
I found our second nanny by placing an online ad. She was my age and a Yankee - but I didn't hold this against her:) Her husband played hockey for our professional hockey team. He could get transferred at any time so she took the position knowing it would only be temporary. She was highly qualified, in fact, over qualified! She was great with the girls and jumped right in on Hassie Clare's physical therapy and stretching. She was perfect for us during this time. I was working more hours and her schedule allowed this. We would take the girls to hockey games on occasion and they loved all the noise and excitement. After 6 months, her husband got traded at the end of the hockey season. She was with us from age 5.5 months to 11 months. She loved the girls very much and still tells me how much she misses them to this day.
The third nanny ..... well, she really isn't worth mentioning. She was with us about 4 weeks. 3 weeks and 6 days too long! Evidently we paid her to talk on her cell phone, ignore the babies and not do a dang thing to help me out.
Which led me to our current nanny, Taylor (AKA Tay Tay). She started working for us about a month after the girls first birthday. She was barely 19 and had just moved here from Georgia to live with her boyfriend and go to college. She was young, seemed to bounce from job to job and I had many doubts. Boy did she prove me wrong!
She quickly proved how mature and responsible she was, which gained my trust. After the first few months, I knew she was the perfect fit for our family. She is trustworthy, dependable (NEVER misses work) and most of all, full of love. I trust her unconditionally with the most precious things in my life. I know that she loves Hassie Clare and Quinn with all her heart and that she would do anything for them. Her mother also loves my girls and is so sweet to them...they call her Mrs. Beth. Taylor takes them on outings as often as possible (they are at the zoo as I type this). She teaches them things every chance she gets. She helps me a great deal around the house and will do anything she can to make my life easier. Her and her fiance participate in our family events. The girls love her dearly and they miss her when she is not around. She has worked full time (30-40 hours per week) for us for 2 years now. She is very much a part of our family and always will be. She is 21 years old now and I know she will soon have to venture off into the world. I dread that day. I just hope she can hold off until Hassie Clare and Quinn go off to college:)
With all that said, I have been extremely lucky with the nanny's we have hired to help us raise the girls while we work. I had some super scary interviews along the way which make for great stories. Like the Hispanic lady that said she could not sit in the floor or pick up the girls cause of a bad back. The girls were 12 months old. And throughout the very short interview she kept asking me "when I start" while the girls were trying to climb up her legs.
I like to think that Hassie Clare and Quinn bring the goodness out in people. I like to think that each person in their life is a little bit better off or more at peace within themselves because of the love they feel from my kids. Maybe I only think this because I feel this way. Regardless, I truly am thankful to the wonderful nanny's that have helped us along the way. I have the best of both worlds. I get to work, from home, only a few closed doors away from my kids. Because of our nanny, I am as close as it gets to being a stay at home mom.
PS - It is just a coincidence that all our nanny's have been blonde and
No comments:
Post a Comment